Friday, December 3, 2010

ON THE THRID DAY OF CHRISTMAS

So we have had three days of Advent....  it has been good, it has been crazy.  I have NOT tackeled any crazy crafts or projects yet....  I almost feel like I have to work up to those... if we start off with something too big and it goes badly, I will give up and forget this whole crazy idea.

Our Advent season has been something I have wanted to to since before I had children.  I read, in one of my favorite books by Madeline L'Engle about a family that did something special each day through the Advent season building up to that very special day.  I could not WAIT until I had children and could start doing it with them.  That first year (when Bowden was just five months old) was a little disappointing.  He was not so interested in making cookies!  However, it was A LOT easier to get all sort of baking and decorating done than it is now with four little crazies running around!



As Bowden got older and we added more little ones, I have been able to really develop it into a season of true ADVENTure!  He is six now and this will be our third year of doing something special (craft, decorating, baking, delivering treats or going somewhere special) each day through the month of December.  I will say though, this year, being pregnant with number five, I AM finding it hard to sum up the energy!  However, their anticipation and excitement at what each new day will hold inspires me to get it together!!!

Day 1 started with  finding the WISE MEN.  We have a beautiful Fontanini nativity set that Keith's mother gave us and our wise men spend the month traveling throughout the house.  Each morning the little ones strive to be the first to find them so they can pull the Advent Calendar pocket for that day.  then we were off to make paper chains.  This was easy and super fun for our little ones! 

Day 2 was putting up the "Children's Tree" in the playroom (big thanks to Daddy who did all the hard work).  When we first moved into our house and celebrated our first Christmas, I was a little sad that we spent most of our time in the family room and the tree was in the living room.  Last year, sweet Jennifer gave us her old fake tree so we could have one in the family room to enjoy.  This is the tree we let the little ones put pretty much anything they want on.  The make all sort of things for it.  They COVERED it in silver, green and purple beads this year (thanks again to Jennifer).  We have really enjoyed this new tradition!

 This is our "winter scene", All fall, we had leaves that were changing & falling, pumpkins and even a few bats....  I thought I had a picture of it but could not find it.  You can also see the Children's tree


 Sorry the picture is sideways, I was having trouble downloading from Iphoto tonight.....



 The chain can be seen in the edge of this photo




 Making our snowmen


 He does make such interesting faces..... (you can see in the background that the snow has not fallen on our tree yet....)



Day 3 we made cotton snow men.  Not a hard craft but they certainly loved smothering their little men with lots of cotton!  Then we hung them up on our landscape scene.

We also light an Advent candle each night and our family Bible time is doing an Advent reading and singing Christmas carols instead of regular hymns.  I will try share some of those readings and verses when it is not 11:00 at night! 

I do so love this time of year and I love the excitement my children bring with them, each day!

1 comment: